ArtCore version 2.3 is currently in beta testing, and will be officially released later in August. The following is a list of expected changes. It is possible some minor changes in this list may occur before the official release.
New Distribution Model
From now on, the ArtCore is FREE, COPYABLE, and TRANSFERRABLE. It will work for up to seven calendar days from when you first attach an ArtCore as a free demo, with a few disabled features. You will be able to purchase a license allowing you to continue using the ArtCore indefinitely. (There will be a vendor at ACS, but you’ll probably also be able to buy it on the Marketplace for a somewhat higher price.)
Once Version 2.3 is released, anyone who owns a previous version of the ArtCore will be eligible for a free license.
Disabled features in Demo
- Maximum of 4 items displayed in any Dress folder
- Maximum of 4 poses offered in any Pose menu (as of Beta 2)
- Cannot increase immersion
Uses for Free ArtCore Demos
The obvious use is to give you a chance to try out the ArtCore and see if you like it before buying it.
However, it may also make it possible to make devices that rely on giving an ArtCore to someone – like a petrification ray or dollification cannon. This will take some work to make it function – for example, you can’t assume the target has the right RLV folders. But a creative developer can probably work something out. If your target decides they want to remain artwork (or has already used up their demo time), they will need to buy a license.
Each time you attach an ArtCore, or log in with one attached, you’ll get a dialog that:
- Alerts you if you’re using a demo, and, if so, when it expires and how to obtain a full license
- Provides a message I can change, for example, to notify you of updates
- If you click +… and choose Poses, the Pose Assistant appears over your head. Once it is there, choosing Poses again deletes the Pose Assistant, rather than creating another one. This allows you to get rid of your Pose Assistant even if you’re frozen and can’t touch it.
- If someone clicks your Pose handle and chooses Add Poses, a new Pose Assistant appears only if one isn’t already there. (It can be disposed of by clicking it.)
- You can now put text of your choosing in your hovertext. Click +…, then Hovertext.
Other fixes and improvements:
- Unexpected animations and deanimations sometimes happened while using your own Animation Talisman. I may have fixed this, but since I could never really reproduce the problem, I’m not sure. If you’ve had this problem, please test this.
- You can always detach your ArtCore if you have not increased restrictions, with no more “only a beta” message.
- If you increase restrictions so you can’t remove your ArtCore, then relog without RLV to lower them again, the ArtCore will now be unlocked so you can remove it. (It wasn’t before.)
- Adding animations with names longer than 24 characters no longer triggers an error. You may not be able to play that animation, but at least other poses can be used.
- Your Artwork folder is now checked every time you press the +… button, so changes to your available Forms should take effect properly.
- Clicking on the “hand” handle now reports the artwork’s immersion level.
- flag-unclothe now works as documented
- Old display names should never be used.
- When you deanimate slowly (such as if someone takes off your talisman while you’re animated), any shapechange effect now happens at the end of the deanimation, not while you’re still moving.
- Chat restrictions should now take effect on login. (You’re always deanimated when you log in, so you shouldn’t be able to talk.)
- Fallen-over artwork now always has a “Pick Up” button in their touch handle menu.
As always, if you notice any problems with the ArtCore or would like to suggest additional new features, please report them at the ACS HelpDesk: https://acs-hub.net/?page_id=1398. All suggestions are considered, even those that we decide not to implement.